Education & Early Experience
I received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature and Creative Writing from Wheaton College in 2008. For two and a half years during college, I helped start, write, and edit a literary magazine called The Pub, which is still being published bi-annually to this day. I also worked as a student editor and consultant at Wheaton College’s Writing Center.
In 2009-2010, I worked as an Executive Assistant for writers Lorraine Pintus and Linda Dillow (authors of the best-seller Intimate Issues and many other books), coordinating conferences and helping to edit an in-progress manuscript (Jump Off the Hormone Swing is the finished product).
From 2010-2011, I worked as Organizational Communicator for Resource Exchange International, a Colorado nonprofit organization, writing all copy for their website, maintaining and writing their blog, and editing all correspondence from their offices.
I have also written and edited materials for many other organizations in Colorado on a contract or volunteer basis, including:
- Goodwill Industries of Colorado Springs (2009 – intern grant writer in Donor Relations)
- Compassion International (2009 – Donor Relations writer)
- the Navigators (2009 – intern writer in Nav Missions)
- Vessels for Honor Rafting Company (2009-2011 – marketing, copy editor, and intern coordinator)
Since April 2011, I have been writing independently, and I have been published in various books, journals, and blogs, including:
- the Colorado Springs Gazette’s arts blog (three articles in 2011)
- Art in Love, an arts blog I co-wrote with my husband, Jeremy Grant
- Women in High Def, a woman’s faith anthology edited and co-authored by Diane Markins (published in April 2012)
- PopMatters, a pop culture magazine and news website (one feature article in 2012)
- The Boundless Blog, a Christian singles ministry (one article in 2013).
- On Faith, a religion website, formerly run by The Washington Post (one feature article in 2014),
- Neutrons Protons, an online literary journal (one nonfiction piece in 2014)
- Mama Liberada, an online ‘zine about motherhood and related topics (one essay in 2016)
- The Curator Magazine, an arts and culture online magazine (two essays in 2012, one in 2014, one in 2016)
- Patheos, an online religion news and opinion website (one essay in 2016)
- Mothers Always Write, an online literary journal about motherhood and related topics (one essay in 2017).
- Mama Liberada (one reprinted essay in 2017, forthcoming).
Current Personal Writing Projects
I’m writing a memoir entitled Grievous Joy: A Falling in Love Story about the difficult, beautiful, and spiritual journey through which my husband and I met, fell in love, and eventually married.
Concurrently, I’m writing a memoir about my experience of losing my vision in my right eye, entitled Through A Mirror Dimly.
You can read excerpts of both in-progress memoirs at my blog, Literary Artifacts, as well as miscellaneous other writings.